Braeden's masterpiece. He traced each body part by lying on the paper and cut it out and colored it. Then he made an airplane, snake, rainbow, fish, pond, grass, blue jay, sun, birds, a toy car and toy airplane. Can you find them all?
Saturday, October 6, 2007
Worksheet, ditto, blackline master Hater!!!
You all know I HATE!!! worksheets for kids---they kill creativity---and much more, (but we wont' go there now). So needless to say this 1st year of Kindergarten has been difficult for me--even though it is the first time Braeden has ever had a worksheet--I guess he can't be sheltered forever. At first he liked them, but now he's sick of them. He comes home everyday and draws----on blank paper---for hours. Today he started tracing parts of his body and coloring them. I went grocery shopping and when I got home I had this beautiful masterpiece on the wall. I had to take pics and share----at least there is still a little creativity there. These masterpieces off set the bad feelings from Braeden coming home last week and saying---"I colored the fish green and the water blue, because my teacher told me to."
Braeden's masterpiece. He traced each body part by lying on the paper and cut it out and colored it. Then he made an airplane, snake, rainbow, fish, pond, grass, blue jay, sun, birds, a toy car and toy airplane. Can you find them all?

Braeden's masterpiece. He traced each body part by lying on the paper and cut it out and colored it. Then he made an airplane, snake, rainbow, fish, pond, grass, blue jay, sun, birds, a toy car and toy airplane. Can you find them all?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
This is great! It hurts my heart to know that his creativity is being smushed by school. I know that is the part I dread. That's one of the reasons I have always been drawn to something more like Montessori. I don't know- we put them in school, they sit in straight lines, they are quiet, they do their work, they match the pieces of the puzzle together (like green fish and blue water), and then what. Where is the creativity encouraged or expressed? It's wonderful that y'all are able to give him an outlet at home.
I've been thinking a lot about this relating to church. Where is our creativity in praising God? Are we encouraged or tamped down in our expression when we pray, sing, worship our Lord? Is there a right (green fish) answer to worship?
I'm struggling with this.
You and Matt are a shining light to me. Praise God!
Shea, it does my homesick heart good to read about you and the kids. I so value your insight into child devolopment and will miss not having you there as Rebecca enters a preschool program. Lots of love to you and home! Shannon
What a treasure!! You're such a good momma!
Post a Comment