Sunday, December 16, 2007

God's Hand at Work-unbelievable

It's unbelievable when you experience God's plan and see it playing out at that very moment! This morning I experienced just that. I felt a need to be at the inner city church this morning. For the past few weeks I've been trying to find an agency like the one i worked for in tallahassee that helped families at Christmas. I haven't been involved in the social work aspect of my old job in 4 or 5 years now and I have been missing it, especially around the holiday season. (I will insert the e-mail I sent out to our church this a.m. to explain the situation). How awesome is it that God orchastrated our being in the same small church together this morning. I have a need to be met and this young girl has a need to be met, and we can both help each other. After you read my e-mail let me know if you would like to help her some way.


this is the explanation--sorry about the format--it was lost in the copy

Hello all,> > We attended Inner City Church this morning and had a wonderful > time. I have felt a desire to be there and stay for worship all > week. I think I know now why I've been feeling this.> > During worship, as they were making announcements, a girl stood up > and said she needed prayers. She said she had been having thoughts > of suicide and she needed everyone to pray for her. The minister > and elders handled this beautifully. They called her up and prayed > over her and then had everyone show hands of who would pray for her > this week and who would contact her this week.> > She then walked out to take her 3 year old to class. I followed > her and asked if she would talk to me for a minute. She told me > she was seeing a mental health professional and was on medication, > but she still had these thoughts and they were working on it. She > receives medicaid, and can't work because of her mental condition > and a slipped disc in her back. She has applied for ssi, but needs > a lawyer to pursue it. She gets $275 a month AFDC and she gets > food stamps. She is not on WIC, but I told her she better do it > this week or I am coming to pick her up and take her myself. She > promised she would make an appointment.> > We talked about why this came on right now. She said her family > usually helps her this time of year, but they are having their own > troubles right now. She said it hurts her so bad that she won't be > able to give her kids Christmas.> > I have been feeling a desire to help a family this Christmas, but I > didn't know where to find one. God had us go to worship at Inner > City this morning for this reason.> > This is what I want to do for this family:> Assist her in getting on WIC> Provide food for her family> Provide clothes for her and her girls> Provide a Christmas for her and her girls> > She has 4 girls ages 11, 8, 7, and 3. Their sizes are 16, 8, 6, > and 3T/4T. If anyone is interested please let me know. We can do > this a few different ways. Your family could take one of the girls > and do clothes or a toy for them or both. Or you could give money > to church and I could get what they need.> > Just so you know: I did some digging by calling the preacher> who referred me to the ministry leader of the single mom's ministry and she said she was truly in > need of help. She said anything we could do for her would be > great. I've been burned a few too many times in the world of > Social Work and wanted to make sure this would be a legit cause and > she said it definitely was!> > I would like to deliver everything sometime this weekend and with > her approval I would like to take a small group of people with us > to show her she is loved in the Lord.

8 comments:

Alison said...

Hey, I am off work until after the new year, so I'll be glad to help in any way that I can, either money, shopping, delivery - what ever. Thursday is the only day I have specific plans - just call the house and let me know how I can jump in.

ashley b chandler said...

Hey! That's a great testimony of how our Lord works in our lives when we are willing. I'm actually writing b/c I want your e-mail and address. I've been keeping up with your blog for a few months now. Your kids are still so precious! Love and miss you- your oldest friend Ashley

Juicysmom said...

Ashley--it's so good to hear from you. i think i may have your e-mail. I'll send you my address through that--I don't like to put it on my blog.

Juicysmom said...

Ashley, Okay, I don't have your current e-mail. I'll try to give you a call this afternoon--your mom gave me your phone number.

Love ya old friend!

ashley b chandler said...

Sorry, I thought this actually showed my e-mail address. I'm with you on not leaving it on the blog, so here is a little code to decipher our e-mail:
our 3 1st names oldest to youngest @mac.com

Give it a try!

Juicysmom said...

I tried it--hope it works.

Sandi said...

This is awesome, Shea Lea -- God is so good.

maryann said...

Hi, friend! I found you through Jamie Chitty's blog--hope you don't mind!
Your family is beautiful!!! I know God is doing great things through you and Matt. Merry Christmas!!
MaryAnn Green