Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Extreme Makeover Home Edition Fun!!




I was chosen to volunteer for Extreme Makeover Home Edition on Sunday from 12-6. I didn't realize how lucky I was to get this opportunity until I was out there working. Over 800 people volunteered and only 600 got the opportunity. Many of those people were given jobs that weren't around the house (in the food tent, sign-in tent...) I met a friend when I arrived who had been there the day before. She taught me the ins and outs of working in the house. We were able to get in the house and we cleaned. As long as you were busy you were allowed to stay in the house. We cleaned the base boards, the floors and anything else we could. There were a few people who were so gussied up they couldn't even pretend to be cleaning. Girls in pumps, tight jeans, a ton of make-up and hair all curled and just perfect for the camera--little did they know that Ty wasn't even there until "Move that bus" day. I was amazed to learn they do two houses at a time. Ty and Michael were in Tallahassee all week. Paul, Tracie and Edwardo (?) were at our house. It was amazing how nice they were to everyone. Becky got us in two shoots with Tracie. We cleaned these beautiful mosaic mirrors while Tracie explained the room. We also got to run to the back of the truck and take furniture into the house.



The house was beautiful. It is not near as big as the houses look on the show, but it had some beautiful rooms. It was a great experience to work with all the volunteers. We met a painter that had been painting for 36 hours and was still there when we went to the "Move that bus" day. He hadn't stopped for over 48 hours! People were giving so much of there time and energy and still so happy to be there. It was a once in a lifetime experience.



I took the kids out yesterday to yell "Move that bus". We left the house around 7:45--I let Braeden skip school. EMHE is a family favorite! On Sunday nights Matt has rehearsal so the kids and I pile up in our "big bed" and watch the show. Barrett and Brooklynn usually fall asleep before the end, but Braeden loves to see the reveal. It was a chilly morning. I packed tons of snacks and games for the kids. They did great and had fun for the first 5 hours, but toward the end they were getting tired and smooshed! It got really crowded. My friend, Becky, and her boyfriend found us--Thank goodness they were there to help. It's amazing how they film the show. We chanted "Move that Bus" long before it was time to move the bus, and filmed the family coming in the lemo with a fake family in the car. The kids loved the chanting and the band. I was really touched by the families reaction to the house. They seem like a wonderful family.













Posted by PicasaBarrett tuckered out toward the end. He wasn't asleep, but sat like this for a good little while.

2 comments:

"grandmama" Nita said...

Sweet boy!

Robyn said...

I LOVE that you were able to do that! It's just awesome. I can't wait to see you on tv in a few months! :)